Thursday, 18 June 2015

A Pinteresting Experiment

Pin love

So, I love Pinterest. Personally, I use it a lot and in my opinion it is by far and away the most pleasant social media experience around. However, I don't say 'social networking' because frankly, there is no networking going on. Not for me anyway. It's simply a place where people share cool stuff and I collect like a little online squirrel.

One of my favourite blogs about Pinterest has to be the Manly Pinterest Tips blog, created and manned by Jeff Sieh. His podcast, advice and guests are always top dollar and provide a fascinating insight in to how Pinterest is a growing platform for business. In North America at least.

As far as I know, Pinterest is ever increasingly a big deal across the pond and its reputation as a search engine is growing too. I'd recommend giving the search function a try; it really is something and in my opinion, way more engaging than using a traditional tool like Google or Bing.

Behind as ever

In the United Kingdom, and more specifically here in Scotland however, things haven't quite taken off. Sure a lot of people will have Pinterest accounts and pin like crazy every so often...but it'd be fair to say that it isn't quite the essential tool for people like Facebook or Twitter is at the moment. Pinterest in the UK is still vaguely known as the social network for girls looking at wedding dresses and elaborate cakes. But there is a TON of content on there aimed at guys just like me; Superman art, motorbikes, great clothes, football, music legends and of course social media stuff!

So with all that in mind, and in my professional role, I wanted to try an (albeit brief) experiment. Rather than check in and do the very occasional spat of pinning on our company page, I'd use the new Pinterest scheduling feature on Buffer to keep our page updated daily. I set my schedule to pin eight times a day; a bunch in the morning and a few in the evening, including three original pins created by me using Canva.

The objective? To see simply, if Pinterest could drive even a small amount of extra traffic to our website and/or drive up followers and engagement on the page itself.

Now, I perfectly understand that a week is a very short testing period and that the nature of re-pinning external links is unlikely to drive major traffic. All I wanted to get was a feeling (however small) of increased brand awareness via the above objectives.

Analysis

First, what does Google Analytics tell me?

From the whopping (insert sarcastic wink) 827 visits to the site from social media, Pinterest accounted for four visits. What was that Scott? 44 visits? No, dear reader, four. Four visits. With a 75% bounce rate.



And from Pinterest? Well, Pinterest is still in its infancy in regards to business marketing insights but it's interesting that it defines between your profile's activity and the activity (i.e. pins being created) solely from your website.

From my profile:

  • 2,445 total impressions (peak: Saturday, low: Thursday)
  • 1,551 total viewers (same as above)
  • 15 repins
  • 13 clicks
  • 0 likes (and exactly what is the point in Pinterest Likes? They are the equivalent of the Twitter Favourite. Pointless.)
From the website:
  • 1,199 impressions (peak: Friday, low: Wednesday)
  • 876 viewers (same as above)
  • 12 repins
  • 5 clicks
  • From pins all created by me!
Impression and view counts ain't too shabby for a very much secondary social media profile and 15 repins I guess is not to be sniffed at in the short test period. Could I comfortably say however, that this represents a positive exercise in brand awareness?



Certainly, it was clear from the Pinterest stats, as pictured, that as the week progressed and pins were being published regularly, activity grew. This suggests that there is definitely merit in being consistent (a trait emphasized regularly by Sieh) and having a schedule in place.

I haven't mentioned the analytics that Buffer offers. It only gives numbers for 'comments', 'likes' and repins. The vast majority of which equal zero.

Conclusion

If my objective was solely to garner web traffic, I'd mark this as a big ol' stinkin' failure. But in regards to brand awareness, I'd maybe give it an average scoring. A more meaningful experiment would perhaps look at stats over a six month period so I'm not reading too much in to these stats at the moment.

Do you use a scheduling tool for Pinterest? Do you find my experiment results are similar to yours or is Pinterest either doing great for you, or not worth the effort?

No comments:

Post a Comment